Did you know that nutrition research shows that diet during pregnancy can impact upon the babies brain development and even on the babies IQ? Here are 5 tips to boost pregnancy nutrition that can help boost a babies brain development and brain power:
- Include sources of (low mercury) fish– 2-3 serves per week, examples include Australian or New Zealand sourced salmon, sardines, bream, snapper or blue grenadier
2. Ensure adequate iron levels in pregnancy blood tests and include adequate plant and animal sources of iron in your diet
3. Include adequate iodine intake. Iodine content of fruits and veggies are dependent on the levels of iodine in the soil where they are grown. Because of this Australian pregnant women are recommended to take an iodine supplement during pregnancy and for breastfeeding.
4. Ensure adequate folate intake, food sources include green leafy veggies like spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and fruits like oranges and strawberries. Australian pregnant women are also recommended to take a folate supplement.
5. Include a well balanced diet from all the food groups. Pregnancy is no time for fad diets which can often leave women with inadequate levels of high quality carbohydrates, essential fatty acids, or protein, which are all needed for their developing baby.
For more information about an ideal diet in pregnancy, as well as lots of beautiful nourishing recipes check out our book Growing Baby Bean a Complete Guide to Pregnancy Nutrition.